Monday, August 03, 2009

My small garden and my boys

The boys have wanted to grow pumpkins for Halloween for the last several years and I just haven't been able to start a garden, until last month. I was at a store that was having a clearance of their garden section, so I got the red bricks for $0.50 each and 4 really big bags of dirt for $0.47 each. I was so excited! We already had seeds, so we gave it a shot. They want some white pumpkins for jack-o-lanterns, so we sprouted 3 white pumpkin seeds and three orange pumpkin seeds. All 6 sprouted well, we put them in the ground outside and a few days later came the tops of 5 of the plants. The boys are so excited! Our neighbor gave us seeds from her Sweet dessert pumpkins she just harvested, so I just stuck 8 straight in the ground, not expecting them to all sprout and 3 days later came the tops of those too! I think we're going to have pumpkins! I also threw three watermelon seeds in the ground just for fun and two of those sprouted as well. I'm excited to plant some more for our winter months. Winter gardens do really well here, I hear.


And of course, the boys...... all 4 of them, playing on our bed. Dog pile!


3 comments:

Chrisannphx said...

Your plants are growing so fast! So neat!

The Moore Family said...

Yeah for your garden! And those incredible sweet boys. . they could not be better kids.

Mariah :) said...

Yay for gardens! I wish I had a yard, so that I could have one. As it is, I have four houseplants...

Gotta love the dog pile pics!

-Mariah :)