Tuesday, August 28, 2012

4 1/2 months post-op

I finished up going to my physical therapy appointments last week. Six weeks of training me how to strengthen my core to lessen my low back pain. I have to be honest... I really felt like it wasn't doing me much good and was getting worried that my low back would hurt for a long time. All of a sudden, almost overnight, I felt like a switch was flipped and it felt better. A lot better! Then last week it was bad again, with a little help from darn hormones. This week I am back to feeling pretty darn good and ready to get moving! I am keeping up with my physical therapy routine here at home and I have been getting on the elliptical too. Sunday evening, I went for a walk around a big block. It's the farthest I have walked yet and it didn't hurt me! Today, I pulled out my post-op activity schedule to see what I can try to do now that I am feeling better. I'll have to go across the street and try to shoot free throws soon, go to the tennis courts and try to hit some balls, but I think I'll wait on the volleyball one a little longer. My shoulder blades are still sore and stiff. But what is that there below volleyball on my list? Light jogging on an even surface? What??? Me jog? 
So tonight after exercising in the pool, I set out for another walk around our long block and tried to lightly jog. I did it! I felt incredibly heavy and awkward, but I did it! Four short little jogs in between walking. It was so exciting!
 So for now, I will keep up what I can do until I get to the 1 year mark. Sometime after next April, I want to go bowling. I want to go on a roller coaster... maybe. But most of all, I am really excited that I can ride a horse! Maybe that seems silly to some, but I never thought I'd be able to do that. 

Another thing I thought I would never do is wear anything with stripes. Back at the end of June, I went to the store with my mom and sisters and they picked out some striped shirts for me. I tried on a few and bought this one. I didn't have the courage to wear it until last week. I went out of the house in it too!
Straight stripes!

Alright, that's enough about me for now. It feels really strange to be writing about myself when I usually tried to leave myself out of posts and pictures. I really am very excited to be feeling a lot better the last few weeks. I feel like I can accomplish my goals and be living an active life with my four boys now, even if there is some pain now and then. I am so happy to not be hurting around the clock anymore. I can smile and really mean it.

5 comments:

Pam said...

Looks like you can play tackle football by the year mark, I want pictures of that! You are doing so great, glad you are feeling better and you look amazing. Love you!

Carrie Selin said...

So glad to hear you are getting better and most of all feeling better! We miss you!

Mariah :) said...

Yay! I'm glad you're feeling so much better!

Love, Mariah :)

Lisa said...

"I can smile and really mean it". That is my favorite! So glad that things are looking up, up, up! We miss you guys but hope you are continuing to settle in. How is your new ward so far? Take care!

Merrimom said...

Thanks everyone! We are doing just fine in the new place. Our new ward is just fine. It will take some time to get to know people, but I know it won't be as good as Sun Valley Ward... sniffle...sniffle.