Sunday, October 19, 2008

Family fun

The State Fair is here and so we took advantage of the opening day price of $1 per person and went to have a little fun. We like the exhibit buildings to look at peoples things. We met the builder of a rocket and he said he flew it 5 times.
They boys couldn't get enough of looking at a legos exhibit. It was really big and they loved it.
We got a few tickets to let the boys go on two rides. They chose a fun house first and had a ball going through it. The second ride Brian and Jacob chose, they were lying on their front side like they were flying. They loved it! And Kevin flew in an airplane for his second ride.
Kevin really wanted to take a picture of some chicks in one of the animal buildings we went through.
We went into a kids zone building where there was lots of fun free things for kids to do and play with. They went through a small hay maze, played with some with giant soft legos, played a giant game of checkers and played in the gym equipment.
A few days ago we went outside of the city to the desert to look at some wildlife and cactus. I know, really exciting times, eh? We really like taking mini hikes in the cooler weather though.
The boys really wanted a picture of a cactus we found. They said it looks like sign language for I love you, so we took a picture of it for them. If you don't know the sign for I love you with one hand, it's your thumb sticking out and the two middle fingers down so the other two are sticking up. I think it does kind of look like it!
I've got lots of people wanting to know how I'm doing in the brace. I can't tell you what a difference it is making in the quality of my life! Yes, it's a tad uncomfortable and a small pain to deal with at times, but you know how the doctor will ask you what your pain level is at on a scale from one to ten, ten being the worst? My pain level was usually around 7 all of the time and at night to lie down in bed, it would shoot up to a 9 or 10. I have little or no pain now all day and when I take off the brace and go to bed, I can breath easy and rest.... it's amazing! I had a few people wanting to know how long it takes me to get it on. I'm getting faster! I'm guessing when I first started wearing it, it took me 4 or 5 minutes to get it on. I can do it in about a minute and a half now. I went to Goodwill and got some clothes that are a little bigger to fit over it better. Can you tell I'm wearing it in the picture above of Jim and I? I think it hides relatively well. So it's going very well and thank you to all of you who have prayed for me. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate it. I have my first follow up appointment on November 8th, so I'll keep you updated! Until next time...........

2 comments:

Wilson Family said...

Merri I had no idea about your back!...that explains why you were "hovering" over me at Church today :) But I'm happy to hear you are getting some relief. By the way thank you for watching my littlest one while I had to leave Sac Meeting for a few minutes. And while I'm thanking you (I'm not sure why I haven't told you this in person) but I'm SO glad that you are over the nursery. I really feel like you have done it wonders - I love the organization, structure, great lessons, and everything you guys are doing to teach the kids. I know it is a lot of work but I really appreciate it!

Lisa Miller said...

I can't tell at all that you're wearing it. You look great. I'm so glad you're feeling better. I love all the pics of the fair. I wish our fair had that much for the kids to do. The checkers game looks fun. We love hikes. And just think, they can count for cub scouts. That's a bonus.