Monday, October 08, 2012

6 months post-op

This morning, I had my 6 months post-op appointment. It started with two more x-rays and Dr. Chang looking at them. He said my back looks stable and no movement or changes, so that is good. I asked him about the sensitivity and pain I am still having and he said it's all normal and should go away within the next 6 months.  I still have to use a pillow behind my back when I sit.  He said the nerves are having to grow back from the outside in and some people have more nerve pain than others. Lucky me!  It's a strange feeling. I feel numb still but it hurts. My low back is doing much better and I am able to walk much easier. I still have pain there too but he said that's because I am fused all the way down to the 2nd to the last vertebrae, so there's only one that can twist and move like it should. Therefore, those muscles are trying to adjust to the new way. My other trouble spot is that darn left shoulder blade area. It is not being nice to me. Jim keeps giving me treatments for pain when he can and I just have to not use it as much as I need to. So overall, I am doing great! My muscles and nerves are still objecting to the huge change, but it should get better. He reminded me again that it is a 1 year recovery with the next 6 months being mainly for the muscles and nerves to finish adjusting. I know the x-rays basically look the same, but I can see the difference from 3 months ago when my low back was hurting so bad I couldn't walk and now that I am stronger. The low curve looks slightly better to me. Maybe it's all in my head.
I won't have another appointment with Dr. Chang until April, for my 1 year post-op. I'm sure I will be feeling fantastic by then!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Sorry the recovery hasn't been better, but wow, what a blessing overall! Amazing changes!

Mariah :) said...

Wow! I'm glad you're getting so much stronger and doing so much better! Love ya!