Sunday, February 26, 2012

Darn back stuff!

I have some really big news to share. I have been hurting a lot again this past year, more than my usual every day aches and pains. I have been having to lie down a lot just so I can breath better and get gravity off of my back. Sleeping is not something I look forward to because I don't really sleep much. The SpineCor brace got me through the last three years, but was not working for me anymore. I started looking for another thing to help me with pain management. I was getting ready to go see a doctor to hopefully get some medication to curb the pain. I was lying down on the couch one day in January, out of commission and not able to move, and Jim brought in the mail and handed me a letter. It was a sweet letter from my Aunt Elizabeth, my Dad's sister. She lives in Colorado and she had seen a doctor on a TV show who does surgery for scoliosis and he is located right here in Phoenix. She gave me his name and wanted me to try to find him. I started looking for information. I found the website for his group and started reading information from that. I made an appointment with Dr. Chang and Jim was able to be there with me which was really nice. He took an x-ray and measured my curves. My largest curve in the middle back is now 69 degrees and the lower back curve is now 55 degrees. He gave us a lot of information and answered many questions. In talking about the problem I am having with my chest hurting and shortness of breath, he told us that when the curve gets to 80 degrees, you are looking at a heart attack and other problems since organs are having to work extra hard to keep the body going. Anyhow, we decided to go ahead with surgery. I am at a point in my life where I can't do much anymore and I really want to be able to keep up with the boys in their teenage years. Technology has advanced greatly in the last 25 years since we first found out I had scoliosis and I'm so glad my Dad, Mom and I decided to not have the Harrington rod surgery. The screws can pivot which allows some mobility and somewhat straightening the spine allows the muscles to work better and not atrophy. He predicted that he should be able to correct the middle curve to around 30 degrees and the lower one should be completely corrected. I am ready for the outcome, but really scared for the major surgery and major recovery.  Surgery will be early morning, April 12 and will be at least 6 hours. I am going to have to teach Jim how to blog so he can post updates in April! Scary back pictures anyone?

No comments: